I never used to keep a diary, or a journal; I’m just not one of those people. There are days that I think I never want to repeat, days where I’m super proud of myself and days that just fill the time between them. Regret isn’t something that I have anymore, because in my eyes dwelling on the past prevents you from seeing the present and looking to the future. After all you can’t change the past so if you can move on you really should. That being said, if I could talk to 10 year old me there are a few things I’d tell younger self.
1. Study. Seriously, you know you hate exams but the idea of failing is much worse than a timed exam. So suck it up!
2. But also don’t stress. Because at the end of the day you know you would have tried your best.
3. Try and ease back on the perfectionism. It WILL send you over the edge.
4. Don’t hold it in. Internalising all the feelings really doesn’t do well for your health, or your temper, as you’ll find out.
5. Speak up! If something irritates you, or you disagree with something, say something. Let’s face you don't have the highest tolerance level or patience in the world, stupidity and ignorance will grate on your last nerve until you snap.
6. You can’t please everyone. This you’ll find out in a year or so, and when you do just accept it.
7. The next few years will NOT define you.
8. Always do what you love. You love writing, so do it, every time someone encourages you, use his or her encouragement to motivate yourself and create something amazing.
9. Listen to your heart, but be realistic. Ultimately what you feel reflects in the amount of 'work' you put in so don’t ignore your feelings. If something is toxic, or you're really just not that passionate about it anymore, it's time to move on.
10. Don’t be in such a hurry to grow up. Enjoy your childhood and your teens; they may be years you wish away now but they’re by far some of the easiest. They'll go by so quickly and it's in these years you will find out exactly who you are and who you want to be. Don't worry... you got this.
I’ve never been one for ‘about me’ pages so let's keep it short and sweet: I'm 25 (so I guess you could assume I'm going through a quarter-life crisis), London-based, love food, oh, and partial to a rum-based drink... or just the rum tbh.